Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Waiting Game.......Wed. July 28th

Hello Everyone,

I figured since I can't train for a month I would give you another update about my stress fractures and the potential course of action. As of right now, I am scheduled to remain at Ft. Benning until my stress fractures are gone. According to the Chief of the Physical Therapy Program (LT. Colonel) it could range from 1 to 3 months. I could handle 1 month I think. It would suck....but I could manage. If we start getting into month 2 or 3.... it's safe to say I would be miserable.

You cannot rehab/physical therapy stress fractures. Like a bad hangover, only time will heal. So, I was told that in order to be sent to a physical Therapy program, I would have to complete Convalescent leave. Con. leave, would allow me to come home for 30 days to rehab on my own. After 30 days, I would go back, get re-evaluated and then either restarted to week 4 or 5 or go to a physical Therapy company until I'm completely healed.

The problem is this however.....
You know there are rules in place to prevent injury, electrocution, fire, death, etc? And yo always wonder why the rule is so stupid/simple. Well, it's because people are dumber that the rock. You shouldn't have to tell someone not to tie a rope around their neck, yet people still do and some people die. Common sense ladies and gentlemen, common sense..... Well, receiving Con. leave is a Hail Mary....Doug Flutie.....He did it! Flutie Did it! type of moment. My company assigned 5 people to con. leave last cycle, and all 5 came back and quit! So what's the solution? No more con. leave. Thanks JERK!

So basically, I need a miracle. I need my DS's to agree that I would benefit from con. leave and not come back and quit. Once they agree, they must get the First Sargent to agree with them. Once he agrees, then the Captain must agree and sign off for it. Hoo-Ray...........

Obviously, I'm worried about the possibility of being stuck here for potentially 3 months doing absolutely nothing. So Hughes and I go and talk to DS "B". While he made no guarantees whatsoever, he did calm me down a little. He said it's definitely a topic of conversation, and will be considered. He also said he has no problem supporting either of us if he needed to. Hughes and I are in literally the exact same position, at the exact same time, with the almost exact same thing. His stress fractures are only in 1 knee.

So where does this leave me? Let the waiting game begin! The only thing I really have in my favor is my degree and age. Hopefully the fact that I'll be 24 next week will help with a positive outcome for me. And hopefully it works out for Hughes as well.

That's pretty much all I have for now. Obviously I will keep you all updated on any decisions. My chances are low, but "you're sayin there's a chance" and I'll take it.

Until Next time,
SPC Martin

PS - Up to 48 letters!!!! Didn't get one tonight though and it ended my streak.
:( (mom added the face)

Note from Mom: Did you notice - He hasn't signed his last 2 letters Embrace the Suck -
Please write to him - I know he is really counting on you all to help him through this - how ever it turns out - if he stays or gets to come home to rehab.

No comments:

Post a Comment