Thursday, September 9, 2010

Still Waiting.........

Monday, September 6th

Hey Everybody!

Happy Labor Day! I hope you're all enjoying your holiday at the lake or at a Bar or some form of fun that I'm not having....jerks......HAHA! Anyway, since it is a holiday, we don't get mail again. I think this makes 5 days in a row without mail which sucks, but hopefully I have some built up.

Saturday we went to the National Infantry Museum. This was my second time there(first was Family Day) and I looked around some more, but we were allowed to go to the IMAX movies so most of my time was spent watching Lewis and Clark discover America and DiCaprio describing the Hubble in 3D. After those, most of my time was over and we left not long after 1300. Eventually, when I graduate, (which I still don't know for sure if I'm graduating or being restarted) I'm sure those who come will want to look around for themselves, and I'll finally see everything in the museum.

Sunday was pretty typical. A little bit of cleaning mixed in with Mass and a phone call home. Mass ran about 40 minutes late because we were waiting on the priest to show. I had no problem with this because A) I didn't have to be back at the bay and B) the organist started playing all the patriotic hymns in the book which is always a cool thing when you're surrounded by other soldiers. When I talked to Mom and Dad, I was able to tell them about my RTD because the letter I wrote Tuesday had not made it to them yet.
(Note: We still have not received this letter)
So I was able to give them more information and answer their questions. I also got to talk a little bit about MIZZOU! and Notre Dame and the Cardinals who are still 6 games back after taking 2 of 3 from Cincy. Only a month left boys.......

Today was fairly eventful, because we had APFT 4 and this would be my first long distance/2-mile run since week 3 or 4. Either way, it's been a long ass time since I've ran. I was hoping to put up similar numbers overall from my first APFT which was a 220. I expected my run to be a lot slower, and have my push ups and sit ups pull up the slack from a slower run time.
So how did I do? 52 push ups which was an increase of 7. I did 71 sit ups (+3) and my 2 mile.................13:45!!HAHA! I couldn't believe it! I actually shed 5 seconds off my old run. It was funny when I turned in my time to the DS and he knew I hadn't run in about 7 weeks and said, "That's 45 seconds too slow soldier.........HOOAH!?" HOOAH Drill Sergeant.....HOOHA......HAHA! My over all score was a 253 and seemed to impress a lot of people from my platoon. Overall, my score was 15th of 52 in my platoon, and not much separates me from being # 4 overall, other than the fact that not much time is left. Either way, I'm proud of my score.

After the APFT we had a class on MOUT (Military Operations in Urban Terrain). Basically a class on breaking down doors and cleaning rooms in urban environments. it's pretty much getting to the point where we start putting all of our training together. The next two days we are doing MOUT and will spend 1 night out in the field. On Friday, we supposedly have the 12 mile ruck march which I guess you could say I'm a little worried about considering the longest I've gone so far is 4 miles.... and that was 7 weeks ago.... so yeah...... I think it will suck, but I also know I can push through if needed. Sunday starts FTX (Field Training Exercise) which is our final test. We'll spend I think 5 or six days in the field running security and missions. Basically it's supposed to simulate what it's like for the Infantry. I'm assuming that if they let me do all this, then I'll be graduating with my Company on October 1st. But until then, I continue the waiting game and hope for a quick answer this week.

That's all I have for now. Take care everybody and drink a beer for me. I can't wait for that day!!!!!

SPC Martin
EMBRACE THE SUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment