Friday, August 20, 2010

Sunday Pass? Why Yes..... I Think I will

Sunday - August 15th & Monday August 16th

Let's recap shall we?

Saturday sucked until about 17:30. Why? Well because from 0900 till 17:30 I sat on my ass and did absolutely nothing while everyone else qualified for level 1 in Ground Fighting Tactics (GFT). That lasted until lunch chow. I literally wasn't allowed to do anything. Not even clean the bay...This is the typical Saturday for me now so yeah.......it got better though when GFT stopped.

I finally got to organize my locker. On Tuesday or Wednesday two DS's came through for a contraband check and tossed everything from our lockers....So I finally got around to that. I also was able to finish up my laundry and get all that folded up. At final formation we got Nutra-Grain Bars (aka Glorified Fig Newtons) which is always a good thing. We were then told that wake up was at 0600 and that those who shot expert would receive their pass. AWESOME!

So after my 8 1/2 hours of sleep (which I proudly brag of now....) I head out to formation, went to breakfast chow and left to go out on my 4 hour pass. So I called home for a hour which was great to finally talk for a while with Mom and Dad. We seemed to have some difficulty with the pay phone a couple of times, where we stay connected, but they couldn't hear me. Eventually my phone card ran out so I said my goodbyes.

I head inside to a snack shop that opens at 0900. I don't know what it is, but I immediately bought a Monster, some pizza and a Hostess Cupcake. It was genuinely amazing! I've forgotten how good those cupcakes are and what it feels like to have a legit sugar high going. Eventually I found the computer lab and of course got on Facebook HAHA! I got to catch up on messages, my wall, pictures and I got to chat with a few of you. If my chat ended abruptly with you (Joe and Whitney) it was because my time expired.......so my apologies.

After the computers I bought some Reeses and a Snickers which I ate on the walk back. Overall, a great time! It's amazing to think of how much I have been missing out on since I've been gone. Hopefully I'm not here too much longer, that that all depends on what the doctors and my company says. But, to once again feel apart of the Real World and not just the Army World was amazing and definitely made my week.

Monday - Well, it's Monday....

I didn't really do much today. We went to the range and I got to do dry-fire exercises with no ammunition. Everyone did this, but they also shot. Somehow I was left off the list to fire because I was cleaning up breakfast when they took a count. Either way, I spent the day sitting down which is good for my knees.

We headed back, ate chow and got mail, which is ALWAYS the best part of the day. Did I mention the 11 letters I got last Monday? That was an Epic mail day! People in my platoon always cover their heads now because the Ds's just throw it into the crowd and usually hit guys in the face which is hilarious! HAHA

Other than that, I'm going to try and get in as much training as possible these next 2 weeks. We spend two nights in the field this week, so I may only get out a couple letters this week.

Overall, I'm excited for Family Day! I can't wait to get off base and just hang out. Also, if I'm correct, Football season should be starting that weekend! Have a drink for me since I won't be allowed one.....

Embrace The Suck
SPC Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment