Thursday, June 17, 2010

Matt's First Offical Day in the Army

Jim and I were at Smitty's Wednesday night having dinner - I thought I heard my phone ring, when I looked it showed I had missed a call from Matt. I called back - no answer - he called back - he had 5 minutes to talk - they were told if they had cell phones they could make a call. He sounded good - here's what he told me - they arrived at Ft. Benning at 12:30 AM, were up until 3:30 AM getting settled, he was awakened at 4:00 AM and has been up since then, he will be in the recruitment brigade until next Friday and then they will be split up into their battalions and actually start basic training - he also said there are about 200 recruits to be processed now and that they are in a huge room - no air and space is tight. He also said they had 3 different Sargent's giving them 3 different sets of orders. He said this was challenging to figure out what to do first and how. Oh the life of the Army. That was about the gist of the conversation. 5 minutes goes really fast - I think I'm going to start writing questions I have down on paper, so that if I do hear from him again, I can actually ask him questions. I was just so surprised to hear from him, I'm glad he decided to take his cell phone, although he didn't take the charger and I'm not sure how long the battery will last on his phone - we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment